Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Would Walk 500 Miles, But Not In Circles

My recent study of the sports page during the Olympics has brought to my attention large gaps in my sport knowledge. Although I think I understand the general rules of many games, I have become astounded by discovering the finer details of many sports. For example: Did you know that a baseball team has almost twenty different pitchers? That's twice as many pitchers as positions on the field, and these pitchers don't play any of the other positions. Many of them don't even take a turn at bat! I would find the game much more interesting if the players had to switch positions every inning to prove their worth.
One of the most astounding facts I discovered recently concerned race car driving or NASCAR, a competition which I truly don't understand. Driving cars round and round in a circle just doesn't seem like good entertainment or athleticism to me. Then I discovered, to my complete amazement, that the 500 in "Daytona 500" and "Indianapolis 500"--races that even I had heard of--meant 500 miles. MILES! These guys drive 500 miles and don't get anywhere! If I drove 500 miles, I would like to think I would be in a completely different state or country, having enjoyed some interesting scenery on the way. Although I've heard of people like Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon, I had no idea that they drove such considerable distances. My brother always joked, "Turn left! Left again! Another left turn!" when the subject of NASCAR came up, but I thought these races were about speed and maneuvering for the lead. I had no idea that it was also about stamina for surviving a long, monotonous drive. I thought traveling the interstate was boring; these guys can't even read billboards to pass the time. Do they listen to music? I bet they can't snack on gummy bears and pretzels while driving so fast.
I read somewhere that NASCAR was the most popular sport in the country. I just don't get it.

No comments: