Thursday, April 10, 2008

April Showers Bring May Snowmen





In Wyoming, April showers tend to arrive as snow. For the last few weeks, the mornings have been sunny, and the temperatures have gotten into the balmy forties before the clouds roll in bringing falling temperatures and light dustings of snow.

On my walks, I had started to see buds forming on trees, and green shoots were beginning to peek out of the soil in some front yards. The grass was still an unwholesome yellow-brown, and flower-beds were still covered in last years dead leaves, but I rejoiced at the occasional site of an adventuresome crocus poking out its orange or purple petals. (Crocus!)


For the most part, except for in the deep shadows of buildings I would avoid because of whatever might be lurking in those shadows, the snow had all melted from the ground in town. I had even started to see prairie dogs here and there (the lookouts saw me first, standing up on their hind legs, irresistably cute, those plague-ridden beasties), venturing out into the sunshine. I had put away my snow boots in favor of my long neglected sneakers. I had contemplated putting air in my basketball, as I could now see the courts. I even thought about rearranging my closet to put the skis in the back and bring the camping gear to the front.


As evident from the accompanying pictures, I'm glad I wasn't too hasty.


I woke up this morning to six inches of snow, and more was still coming down. The neighborhoods were filled with people shoveling the sidewalks and good-naturedly complaining about the hassle of the weather. An old lady saw me taking photos and told me she was taking pictures, too, to send to her grandson in Texas who would never believe snow in April. In Laramie, it could and has snowed in every month of the year.

A golden retriever romped in the drifts, while an Australian shepherd puppy broke away from his owner and ran gleefully down the walk. Robins sheltered under shrubberies, and my cats, wisely, stayed in bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, whatever. I can tell when a picture has been photoshopped. I don't believe you.

p.s. do you know where I can find Dan Marino?