Sunday, October 03, 2010

Rocky Mountain Autumn

Last year, the weather didn't cooperate too well when it came to fall foliage. Just as the aspen and other deciduous trees were starting to turn from green to autumn colors, the temperatures plummeted and everything just went sort of brown. So this year I made an effort to get outside and appreciate the colors of late September while I could.

This fall has been spectacular. It's been unusually warm and sunny, and the aspens simply glow in the sunlight. I've tried to experiment with getting photos in different lights, and the results have been very pretty.


Aspen grow especially well around Vedauwoo, so I have taken numerous short hikes in that area to experience the colors. The light and shadows of the rocks change dramatically as the sun stays lower in the sky. I still don't get bored of the Turtle Rock trail because it is different every time I hike it.


I really enjoy how different everything looks with the change of seasons. Though the wildflowers are now gone for the year, the landscape is still beautiful. All this scene is missing is a moose.


Besides the obvious aspens, other plants take on autumn brilliance. I especially like the reds and oranges of different grasses. These grasses are thriving at about 12,000 feet!

But it always comes back to the aspen. People take special trips out here just to see these trees in their fall splendor, and I don't blame them. I love looking at the light through the leaves. Soon enough, they will fall and I will be impatiently waiting my way through a bleak November until there is enough snow for skiing. Gather ye aspen photos while ye may.


No comments: