Saturday, July 01, 2006

More Free Advertisement

I admit that I have become something of a beer snob since living on the West Coast. Oregon microbrews have unique flavor and lots of hops that are as far from Bud or Miller as imaginable. I enjoy the red ales and special bitters, with my all-time favorites coming from the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, OR.

Since relocating to this less cultured part of the country, I have suffered numerous disappointments in beer tastings. None of the local brews I've sampled have any real character, and I won't resort to a boring lager unless I'm trapped in a bowling alley or baseball stadium. If you search high and low (and believe me that the Mega-Beer-Snob that I live with would jump on a sidewalk grate, balance on the edge of a tall building or wrestle a gator for a good ale) you can find some decent microbrews from Colorado or, unexpectedly, Delaware in a progressive liquor store. Bottles can't quite compare with great beer on tap (Best ever: Terminal Gravity nicely chilled at Rennie's).

Surprisingly, I am thrilled to report that I have found a tasty ale on tap at a hip, local bar. "The Independent" sells no mass-market beer, only interesting microbrews, many of which are imported from England and Belgium. Last night I sampled the "Hobgoblin" ale from England and I found it quite delightful. I rag on Florida so often that I thought this positive experience deserved special mention in my blog. Not only was the beer tasty, dinner at a sushi bar afterwards was utterly enjoyable and satisfying. Well done, St. Petersburg, Florida.



**Condolences to England for their World Cup loss. So close!**

No comments: