Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

Just because I don't like stuffing doesn't mean I shouldn't give Thanksgiving a chance. I will forgo the turkey and yams, but I can still spend a few minutes reflecting on my good fortunes.

First of all, I am thankful for my loving bond with a thoughtful and funny man, who not only puts up with my 'sodes but who also started reading "Pride and Prejudice" to see why it's considered a classic and one of my favorite books. (I'm thankful for good books!) I'm grateful for my kind and generous parents and parents-in-law, the people I would most like to share Thanksgiving with (and not only because both moms can cook a great meal--stuffing aside). They're the only reasons I'm glad I have a phone.

I'm thankful that I'm healthy and fit and can walk anywhere, whether up a mountain or down the street to get an ice cream or a coffee. (I'm thankful for ice cream and coffee! and tea, and chocolate, and mountains....) I'm grateful to have a safe and comfortable place to live, no matter where the location. I appreciate my two furry house-friends that make home a little more cozy. It makes me happy to watch the Wook, purring rustily, kneading a soft blanket with all four paws. He must have so much contentment that two paws just aren't enough. I enjoy watching prim and proper Sammy forget herself for a moment and chase her tail.

I'm thankful for horses rolling in the dust, goats trying to eat my clothes, squirrels craftily stealing bird food, and any wild animal sightings. I'm grateful for my old friends who keep in touch with email and postcards and visits, no matter where I go. I'm thankful for travel, because I love to explore new places. I'm glad I can move to different parts of the country and don't have to settle anywhere (or for anything).

Right now, I'm thankful for the slight drop in temperature that has made long sleeves and cold kitties in my lap possible. I am looking forward to a quiet, relaxing day at home. I'm ready for the pecan pie.
Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for sink strainers even though I don't have one now and had to fish out the dregs of my honey-bunches-of-oats so they wouldn't clog the kitchen sink (which I am also thankful for).

I'm also thankful for the wit and wisdom of Elizabeth Bennett. Part of me suspects that she is a stooge for the KGB, which explains why she breaks into a Russian accent on page 93 and starts addressing everybody as comrade (e.g. Comrade Bingley, Comrade Darcy etc.). Also on page 109:
"I'm sorry Mr Darcy. I cannot be at Pemberly on that date. I must make haste to Moscow for a meeting with the Comintern. Can I have the carriage?"
"No, my dear, you had better go on horseback, because it seems likely to rain."
"That would be a good scheme."

I'm also thankful for my autonomic nervous system.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Dr. Bennet "Torch" Stevungblueteile
Professor Emeritus, Russian and Soviet Studies
Humboldt University, Berlin