Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Survey

Nothing says Christmas like a survey. Feminist Chick decided to send this questionnaire to me with the instructions that I forward it on to everyone in my address book. Rather than subject people to more junk email (and I'm not following instructions anymore, anyway, since I'm thirty and can do whatever I want now), I copied it onto my blog for people to peruse only if they wish. Consider it a Christmas gift.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Neither. Why kill all those trees and create landfill waste? Reduce, reuse, re-wrap, and recycle. I like to use cloth (unbleached and woven from organic alpaca wool) wrapping that can also be used as towels, bedding or clothes. But if I did have to choose between the two, I would pick wrapping paper because it is so pretty and fun to rip.

2. Real tree or artificial? Real, provided it comes from a tree farm (see my last blog post). Evergreen trees smell so nice.

3. When do you put up the tree? I would like to put up the tree about a week before Christmas (around my birthday), but they are usually cut so early that I need to get one sooner to get it into some water.

4. When do you take the tree down? As soon as possible post Christmas. Nothing's quite as over as Christmas, and I HATE seeing Christmas decorations in January.

5. Do you like eggnog? I doubt it. I've never tried it because it sounds disgusting. Aren't there raw eggs in there? What about salmonella or botulism? I mean, risking disease with cookie dough is one thing, but a raw egg drink? Ick. I'm not from around here, anyway.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Anything Star Wars related. Not the ridiculous new movies by loony George Lucas with his goofy CGI effects, but the old ones with the Ewoks. That's it, favorite gift: Ewok Village.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? No way. I'm evil and a heathen. But I did read in the paper about someone searching for their Jesus figure that had been stolen from their yard. Now there's a Christmas carol in the making.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Santa.

9. Easiest person to buy for? My cats. Christmas ribbon does the trick.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A kick in the face.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. I love the postman. Platonically.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? "Scrooge" with Albert Finney and Sir Alec Guinness as a horribly overacted Marley. "I Hate People" is my favorite song of all time.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Not until December if I can help it. I hate shopping (and people).

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Reduce, reuse, re-wrap and recycle.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cookies. I make some wicked cookies, if I do say so myself. I think it helps to rock out while baking. Not only do I put on big band and Bing Christmas CDs, but Metallica and the Arctic Monkeys really produce results.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Well. I used to like colored lights, but my man convinced me of their pedestrian nature. My white lights are nicely bourgeois.

17. Favorite Christmas song? The one with the horse whip. Or "Bring Back My Stolen Jesus".

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Whatevs. I like to travel all year long, so at Christmas it might be better to stay home and avoid the crowds (see answer to #12 or 13).

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Of course. Dancer, Dasher, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Jolsen, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph, Osama, Pinko, and Jaggeroth.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither. I like to see a bare branch up there.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning. Patience is a virtue (and avarice a deadly sin). Watch out or you'll get nothing but a lump of coal.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People forgetting my birthday.

23. What I love most about Christmas? The postman. He might bring presents.

24. Do you buy gifts for your pets? Of course. They would be sad if I forgot them. They especially like playing with ribbons, wrappings and boxes and ignoring their new toys.

25. Have you ever been Christmas Caroling? Yes. I went Christmas caroling with my brother's Cub Scout troop when I was young. I was that annoying little sister they couldn't get rid of (but I wasn't going to miss out on the hay ride and free cookies).

26. Hot chocolate or Hot Apple Cider? CHOCOLATE is always the answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me Al-anon, I am guilty of #22. But I have a valid reason. Please choose the most acceptable.

1. I had a flat tire.
2. I had MRSA.
3. It's lost in the mail.
4. My dog ate/peed on it.

Happy Birthday!

P.S. I sent this a week ago.

Anonymous said...

Don't blame the postman. He's my friend (though he probably doesn't know it because I'm not overtly friendly). I'm most inclined to believe #4...those stanky dogs are such trouble.

ps. Where can I get some of those pointy green elf shoes? Tarpon Springs?

Anonymous said...

Grrrrr...