Monday, December 03, 2007

More Animal Paintings and Some Unnecessary Memories



Yeah, I know--another pronghorn. I can't help it; they are such interesting creatures that I can't resist painting them. I am still excited that they are easily spotted right outside of town. I shout, "Prong!" and point from the car every time. It's kind of like "Nibbles!" with me. It's almost a compulsion.


I also painted a wood duck, with a little artistic brightening of colors. I haven't seen one in a while, so I gave myself some fudge room. (Mmmm, a fudge room.) If a wood duck could duck, would it? I think so.

Finally, I painted a majestic eagle to appease anyone who might be monitoring my internet activity. The bald eagle is the mightiest, strongest and best creature and can beat anyone else in the world. Now, stop calling me a pinko just because I don't like traditional Thanksgiving foods. Or barbeque.


The eagle was a bit difficult to paint because it brought back haunting memories of elementary school. All students were forced to attend these hideous gatherings called 'pep rallies' where the high school cheerleaders would chant rhymes and the football team would try to look tough and the K-12 crowd would yell at top volume from the bleachers. When I got old enough, I would hide in the library, but before I became so clever, I would draw the eagle mascot on a piece of paper and write "Go Big Green" or "Kill the Pirates" or some other violent slogan to wave from the stands. Looking back, this odd Friday ritual must have helped turn me into a non-football playing pacifist and a crowd-hater. It at least started my suspicions regarding organized groups of mindless followers.

So, in an effort to forget troubling memories of school and preserve what's left of my sanity, this will be my one and only bald eagle painting. Hang those Texas Eagles. Good thing they weren't the Prongs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rrrrrooooaaaaarrrrr!!!! Isn't it time for me to be migratin'? oh yeahhhhhhh!!!