Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Colorado Bear


Can you see him peeking through the tree branches? This handsome fellow was the first bear I've encountered in all the miles I've hiked in Colorado (and Wyoming) over the last three years. And there he was, right on the trail a mile or so beyond Gem Lake at the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park, about 8 o'clock on a Saturday morning in late June.

We left before 5am for the two hour drive to be able hit the trailhead before the weekend crowds, and this guy definitely made it worth getting up so early. The few other early risers were still milling around in the parking area as we climbed quickly up to Gem Lake, enjoying the cool temperatures that we knew wouldn't last and taking pictures of the interesting wildflowers (like this Miner's Candle) in the morning light.

As we rounded a corner, I noticed some grouseberries and thought of bears. I looked up to see the black bulk of an animal on the trail in front of us and stopped in my tracks. "Bear!" I said as my main man nearly ran into the back of me. We stared at him as he stared at us. I grabbed my camera for the quick snap, then said, "I think we should make some noise." With the adrenaline pumping, I waved my arms and said, with all the creativity of the moment, "Hey, bear."

He ran a little ways, then looked back over his shoulder to inspect us one last time. Then he disappeared.

Only then did I remember the bear spray that was sitting in the closet at home. After all, there are no grizzlies left in Colorado and I had heard that no one ever sees the shy black bears of Rocky Mountain National park. I guess that statement's not entirely accurate.

We continued north and only started to see other hikers when we reached the Cow Creek trail that has its own (much closer) trailhead and parking lot. Cow Creek was very full with all the snowmelt, so we decided to take the spur trail up to Bridal Veil Falls which would probably be at its most impressive.

I had not yet hiked up to Bridal Veil Falls, even though many of my acquaintances from Fort Collins had recommended it. It had just seemed like too short of a hike to warrant the long drive from Laramie. I was glad I had thought of doing the loop around Lumpy Ridge in combination with the falls, for, although the falls were pretty, the bear was better.


Returning back to the loop, we soon left the crowds behind again, and climbed higher into the forest. The day was now hot and sunny and my pace a little slower. I still found plenty of wildflowers to admire and photograph, and I enjoyed the quiet of the trail.

The last few miles were an easy downhill trek through meadows with the rocks of Lumpy Ridge to the left and the higher peaks of the park off to the right. It definitely felt like summer with the blue skies and sunshine.

After the hike, we drove over to the ranger station to report the bear, just in case they were keeping track of any sightings. The ranger, a friendly man with grey hair, said, "Put a gold star on your calendar. I worked and hiked here for twelve years before I saw my first bear on a trail."

Very cool.

No comments: