Friday, July 30, 2010

Near the Nokhu Crags

Last spring, my main man and I did some pretty sweet cross-country skiing near Cameron Pass in northern Colorado. This impressive picture of the Nokhu Crags was taken in March. We decided that we really needed to come back in the summer to explore the area a little further.

So we did. The trailhead is only about an hour and a half's drive from Laramie by mountain roads, so it really was inexcusable that we hadn't yet hiked there.

Everything looks completely different in the summer, and the Crags seem much less intimidating with friendly alpine sunflowers smiling in front. Nevertheless, I was not planning on scaling the Crags, only hiking to some nearby lakes. These lakes are either called the Michigan Lakes or the American Lakes, depending on what map, sign or blog you read. In all fairness, I think they should really be the Colorado Lakes, but I'm not in charge of these things.
The highest lake, Snow Lake, which still did have a little snow around it in late July (so I won't fault it's name), was tucked in a rocky bowl that made a nice lunch spot. A few marmots and determined wildflowers were our only companions.

As we looked out over the beautiful valley we appreciated the view, but did not appreciate all the elevation we would have to lose before rejoining the trail that headed up to Thunder Pass. We hadn't been able to get as early of a start as I would have liked, and the afternoon was getting on. We could see the pass just over there. It was time to take matters into our own hands.

We made our own way over to Thunder Pass. The trail we had climbed hadn't been much of a trail, anyway--much of it had been more of a rock scramble--so I didn't feel any guilt about going cross-country. I made every effort to avoid squashing delicate wildflowers and I didn't start any avalanches. My chosen path involved some bouldering and some rock climbing and I lost more elevation than my hiking companion did, but I maintain that my way was less precarious, and thus better. It was a lot of fun.

There I am, perched like a mountain goat on a pile of rocks. At one point, I think I was following a bighorn sheep trail, which was very helpful, but I didn't see any of the creatures themselves. I could see some hikers as little dots of color way down in the valley and felt superior. If I had been able to climb Lulu mountain there in the background, I would have felt even better, but it was getting a little too late and the wind was blowing a little too strongly. Oh well, another time.

Looking back at the Crags from this angle was a treat, especially with all the vibrant paintbrush blooming in the foreground. The wildflowers everywhere have been fantastic this summer.

As we reached the ridge above the pass, we could peek to the south into Rocky Mountain National Park. Maybe it's the geographer in me, but I always think that hiking to definite borders is fulfilling. I took a break, making sure to sit inside the park. Just because I could.



No comments: