Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Alligator Juniper

Most of the deciduous trees haven't leafed out yet, so the most conspicuous tree of my trip to New Mexico was the alligator juniper, Juniperus deppeana. Also known as checkerbark juniper, this tree was an interesting and sheltering presence at my campsites with its unique blocked bark and reddish branches.


Unlike the common juniper and Rocky Mountain juniper that I have noticed in Wyoming and Northern Colorado, alligator juniper is strictly a plant of the Southwest, and a large one at that.  These plants can become trees of significant size (40 to 60 feet tall with some even larger exceptions), an amazing feat in such a dry environment. 


I found the tree to have a smoky scent, like mesquite, and it turns out that people do burn the wood for the smell as well as the heat.  In New Mexico, it is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a cedar because of the strong odor.

If I thought these trees were nice in mid-March, I'm sure I would be incredibly grateful for their shade and shelter in hotter months.  And they just look cool!


No comments: