Friday, March 02, 2012

Mystery Tracks

I spend a lot of time looking at snow. Sometimes there's not that much else to look at during the winter.  The snow can tell a lot of stories, but I haven't quite learned to read tracks and prints all that well yet.  I can usually tell--and dismiss--the tracks that dogs make, and squirrel and rabbit (not to mention bear) prints tend to be fairly easy to identify, but some others can be a challenge.  Some are so tiny, made by a shrew, mouse, or some other small critter, as to be too hard for me to photograph.  Sometimes the snow is so deep that details are hard to see.  But occasionally, the deep snow crusts over, keeping the animals from sinking in too deep and leaving clear evidence of their travels.


My guess for the above photo is that a bobcat was on the move, and I think that the following picture may be skunk tracks.  I smelled skunk faintly in the area as I was following the tracks on my cross-country skis.


I'm fairly sure the next photo is of red fox tracks in soft snow.  They have a very precise way of placing their feet in a straight line.


Here is a closeup of one of those fox prints.


The next tracks, though, are anyone's guess.  They were small and precise and in pairs.  I wonder if a weasel or marten could have made them.  I'm not sure I will ever know!

No comments: