Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"K" Aint Takin' No More Krap

I've always thought that "k" has been forced to take an undeserved backseat to the smug "c". "K" has so much more potential and strength than boring, average "c". Doesn't the word "klang" fit the sound much better? (Yea, onomatopoeia!) "Kake" would better fulfill its sweet destiny with two layers of "k", and "kozy" would be worth more in Scrabble. "Krispy Kreme" and "Krusty the Klown" (or is that still Clown?) have got the idea that "k" just looks more interesting. Kris Kringle, not Chris Cringle, got all that mail delivered on 34th Street. While the English Major in me automatically kringes at the use of some "k"s in advertising--"Kiddie Kollege" and "Komfort Kamper" come to mind--I think some of our standardized spellings should be revisited. I'm just saying.


Kute Kats ---------------------------------------------- Kaskade

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look, your problem is that you aren't radical enough when it comes to this issue. Take it to the next level, as they say. My particular group supports the replacement of "Qu" with "kw". For example, you don't have "queen", you have "kween"; no more "quality", rather "kwality". There are exceptions, of coure.
Our stand on transliterations is rigid, however. "Qat", the desert shrub that grows on the Arabian Peninsula, must always be rendered "Khat".
If you are interested in joining our radical fringe, please contact me at stigstiggle@moisturemouth.com. I will be happy to introduce you to our delegation. I am the informal president, but we are, by virtue of our ideology, strictly non-hierarchical. So when I say "president", I don't mean it in any executive sense. I do get to wear a special vest, but it has a special patch that indicates that the vest does not confer any special status or privilege.
For obvious reasons, we never hold our meetings in the same place. We have a series of codes that we use to communicate. My code name is Qizilbash.