Monday, February 20, 2012

Bird Banding

I have been watching two male house finches visit my feeder fairly often, but today the ladies finally made their appearance.  I'm not sure what invitation they were waiting for, but at least three of them finally got it, and they didn't seem to have any trouble figuring out the sock feeder, either.  They had no qualms about pushing around those clueless guys.  They may not have the pretty red plumage, but they're no-nonsense.


In the late afternoon, I noticed a female that had colored bands around both legs.  I assumed that she was part of a research project, but the Internet wasn't forthcoming with an easy answer.  Finally, I stumbled upon the USGS's Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, which has a Bird Banding Program.   They have a detailed website allowing reports concerning birds with leg bands.


This finch had bands on both legs, and I submitted a report on her.  I received an instant email in return, stating: "These markers are used by researchers to address many questions regarding bird movements and other aspects of their life history. They enable researchers to track movements of individual banded birds without the need to recapture them. The banding and color marking of birds is conducted by a variety of researchers, some with State, Federal, NGO, or university affiliations. Our office authorizes these projects, but is not directly involved in them," but they acknowledged that the data would be followed up on and that the researchers might--in a best case scenario--let me know the nature of their project if they were able to identify the individual bird.

The silver band, if it is a federal one, should be numbered, but I could not see enough detail to make out a number.  I hope this bird is part of research project that is worth the stress of being captured and having to live with the leg bands (I read on one website that if the bands are applied improperly, they can cause physical harm or become stuck on things).  This bird seemed healthy, and I can only hope she was handled by the scientists that follow the research center's posted code of ethics and that the information she provides leads to interesting results.



I am curious to find if I will hear any more about this little bird and her adventures.  I will also definitely be on the lookout for any more banded birds!

No comments: