Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pigeon for Breakfast

In blogging about nature, I can't sugarcoat the fact that everyone's got to eat. And that means somebody has to be eaten. Like the rock dove pigeon that was the likely former owner of this feather.


There wasn't just one feather, so I know it probably wasn't a good end for the bird.  Lots of feathers were scattered around the corner of a city park underneath some cottonwoods that had been a convenient picnic table for a hawk.  I looked for the bird of prey, but breakfast time was long past.


I can't help but feel a little sorry for the poor bird, but I would also feel sorry for the predator if he went hungry.  Even the snowman knows that it's a no-win situation.  Nature can be cruel and sad, but cheer up, Mr. Snowman!  We've finally got some snow!

No comments: