Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Unlikely Picnic Partners

Today was snowy and gray and the wildlife was hungry. My suet feeder is continuing to be very popular. The white-breasted nuthatch and brown creeper visited again today, and the fox squirrels and crows were vying for the bits that had fallen to the ground.   The crow seemed very suspicious of the squirrel, though I'm not sure what the squirrel could do to him.

They were both quite jumpy and startled each other more than once.

I'm really not sure why the crow was nervous of the squirrel.  He has that nice sharp beak, but perhaps squirrel claws are sharp, too!


I think the crow is the juvenile that I have recently been noticing out front.  The squirrel looks very young as well.  Perhaps they have yet to figure out their places in the animal hierarchy.  They were very entertaining to watch competing for suet crumbs.


My northern flicker friend was back again, too, eating even while the snow was flying.  I am including a picture of him yet again, because this is the first photo I have gotten that shows the red-shafted tail feathers.  In the eastern U.S., the bird has yellow instead of red on the wings and tail.


This blog seems to have half-way turned into a 'What's Visiting My Feeders?' website.  I am still trying to find new species every day, but with the snow covering most vegetation and spring still far away at this altitude, I am not having huge success.  So I plan to enjoy my winter visitors as much as possible!

No comments: