Saturday, February 25, 2012

So Much Lichen

The more I notice lichen, the more types of lichen there seem to be!  I am not finding them any easier to identify, but they are cool to look at.  The gray foliose tree lichen below may be smooth shadow lichen, Phaeophyscia ciliata.  It has lots of interesting shapes to it, and seems very widespread in this area.


I'm not sure what the brown lichen is, but it and the gray species can cover entire dead tree trunks.



Tufted lichen can also be found growing alongside the shadow lichen.  I think this green species is called witch's hair, Alectoria sarmentosa.


Not only do trees have numerous lichen species on their trunks and branches, but large rocks and boulders also seems to sport a variety of lichen life.  I noticed an almost neon-colored rock lichen along with the map lichen and elegant sunburst lichen that I have noted before.  This green rock lichen may be Schleicher's cracked lichen, Acarospora schleicheri.



I'm not sure that I'm learning all that much about lichen through this blog, but it is at least a good exercise in being observant.

No comments: